[GE users] SGE noobie

biostat adam at greenhodge.net
Tue Jun 2 16:11:24 BST 2009

Hmmm. When I echoed $TMPDIR, i got this:

Then, after the echo I tried qconf -mhgrp @allhosts, and it worked fine. No more error. Is it possible the echo somehow initialized the variable?

As for the other commands, apparently my $ARCH variable is not defined.

qmaster: sge% $SGE_ROOT/bin/$ARCH/sge_qmaster -help | head -1
ARCH: Undefined variable.
qmaster: sge% echo $ARCH
ARCH: Undefined variable.
qmaster: sge% source /SGE6/default/common/settings.csh
qmaster: sge% echo $ARCH
ARCH: Undefined variable.

 To make things even stranger, exec3, the computer that was originally throwing the null object error, just started working again -- exec4 is still throwing that error though. I've been messing around with things alot recently, trying to get everything working, but I haven't touched exec3 in days. I don't understand why it would start working again all of a sudden.

Essentially, here are the somewhat convoluted order of events so far:
*Exec3 started throwing a "NULL object pointer passed to function "spool_flatfile_read_object"" error.
*Exec4, in the middle of a run, starting throwing the same error.
*My qmaster threw a "error getting temporary file name: File name too long" error when trying to run 'qconf -mhgrp @allhosts'.
*Exec3 spontaneously started working again (by which I mean the qmaster stopped seeing its state as "currently unavailable", and I was able to send it jobs directly via 'qsub -l 'hostname=exec3'') even though I havent touched that computer in days.
*I echoed $TMPDIR and the temp file name error on the qmaster disappeared.
*Exec4 is still listed as "currently unavailable, and the $ARCH variable is undefined.

Thanks again for the help


To unsubscribe from this discussion, e-mail: [users-unsubscribe at gridengine.sunsource.net].

More information about the gridengine-users mailing list