[GE users] SGE noobie

pollinger harald.pollinger at sun.com
Tue Jun 2 19:35:06 BST 2009

biostat wrote:
>> Did you source the $SGE_ROOT/$SGE_CELâ??????L/common/settings.shâ?????? (or .csh)
>> before you use a SGE command? Even for the "-help" output?
>
> Yeah, I included that in the last post:
>
>> qmaster: sge% $SGE_ROOT/bin/$ARCH/sge_qmaster -help | head -1 ARCH:
>> Undefined variable. qmaster: sge% echo $ARCH ARCH: Undefined
>> variable. qmaster: sge% source /SGE6/default/commonâ??????/settings.csh
>> qmaster: sge% echo $ARCH ARCH: Undefined variable.

Ah, sorry, I missed this. And I missed that the settings.csh script
doesn't set the ARCH environment variable (any more), it just sets it
internally and unsets it at the end.

The sgemaster and sgeexecd scripts set ARCH before they start the
QMaster or the execution daemon. So to start QMaster and execution
daemon directly, please set ARCH manually:

# setenv ARCH `$SGE_ROOT/util/arch`

and then run
# $SGE_ROOT/bin/$ARCH/sge_qmaster -help | head -1
# $SGE_ROOT/bin/$ARCH/sge_execd -help | head -1

to make sure they are of the right version.

>>> Hmmm. When I echoed $TMPDIR, i got this:
>>> /var/folders/WF/WFbNâ??????EBgSHa8jWCIrXBrvnE++â??????+yU/-Tmp-/
>
>> Looks a bit odd, but it should point to a local directory. You could set
>> it simply to "/tmp" to be sure it's a valid and working local directory.
>
> Isn't /var a local directory? Or by local you mean within the $SGE_ROOT hiearchy?

/var should be local, but I don't know if e.g. /var/folders is not just
mounted, and if "WFbN..." is a valid directory name in this file system.
I just would set it for testing purposes to /tmp to be sure. Just to
reduce the possible sources of error. The same applies for all spooling
directories, too.

Regards,
Harald

http://www.sun.com/gridware