[GE users] Windows 2008 Server install Error

pollinger harald.pollinger at sun.com
Wed Jun 3 08:57:05 BST 2009

Hi Manju,

I'm absolutely not a SAMBA expert, I just configured it until everything
worked - I'm not sure it this configuration is secure enough and if
everything is really necessary.

My smb.conf file has these lines:
workgroup          = MYDOMAIN
security           = user
netbios name       = MYSAMBASERVER
interfaces         = 192.168.0.1/255.255.255.0
encrypt passwords  = Yes
username map       = /etc/usermap
preferred master   = False
domain master      = False
host allow         = 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0
browseable         = yes
client lanman auth = yes

[share1]
     path        = /share1
     read only   = No
     create mask = 0755
     guest ok    = Yes

My /etc/usermap file looks like this:
root   = MYDOMAIN\Administrator Administrator
harald = MYDOMAIN\harald harald
user2  = MYDOMAIN\user2  user2

This works for me to get all local and domain users mapped properly. All
local Administrators and local users can access my shares.
Of course I still have to register the passwords of the users to the
SAMBA server using the "smbpasswd" command.

Regards,
Harald

http://www.sun.com/gridware
mailto:harald.pollinger at sun.com