[GE users] consumable resources in a pe job

ah_sunsource ahaupt at ifh.de
Wed Jun 3 14:44:23 BST 2009

Hi *,

SGE assigns consumable resources per parallel task for a PE job. We have
set up a PE called "multicore" that should be used by our users if their
job is using more than one cpu on a single host (without mpi, etc.). It
is set up like this:

[oreade38] ~ % qconf -sp multicore
pe_name           multicore
slots             256
user_lists        NONE
xuser_lists       NONE
start_proc_args   /bin/true
stop_proc_args    /bin/true
allocation_rule   $pe_slots
control_slaves    FALSE
job_is_first_task FALSE
urgency_slots     min

One of our user's jobs needs 10GB of RAM regardless how many parallel
tasks it is using. He is submitting his job like this:

qsub -l h_vmem=10G -pe multicore 2-8 jobscript.sh

This leads to the situation that 20GB are assigned to the job if it gets
two slots and 80GB if it gets eight slots - this is not what he wants
(we even do not have hosts with 80GB memory). When using a static value
for number of pe slots you could simply calculate the number to be
requested for h_vmem, but in this case it is simply impossible...

Is there a way to declare h_vmem static to the whole job instead of
assigning h_vmem to any slot?

Cheers & Thanks
Andreas