[GE users] Resource reservation fails for large job

s_kreidl sabine.kreidl at uibk.ac.at
Wed Jun 3 15:26:41 BST 2009

Hi Andreas,

thanks for pointing that out, I didn't see the wood for the trees (sorry, literal German translation).

However, the jobs are not submitted with any hard (or soft) runtime limit (no "hard resource_list: ..." at all for the small jobs). I checked again and the only setting for the jobs' duration is done within the queue configuration, see below.
Where does SGE get the 70 seconds from?

Even more irritating, the reservation times, e.g. 1244?742740(=Thu, 11 Jun 2009 17:52:20 GMT) indeed seem to take the queues soft runtime limit of 10 days into account.

Does resource reservation only work, if the job has a fixed h_rt or s_rt value (if so which one?) provided with the -l option? Or must a corresponding complex be enforced? What exactly does one need to do to get resource reservation running?

Thanks again,
Sabine

Output of "qconf -sq par.q":

qname                 par.q
hostlist              @par_queue
seq_no                0
load_thresholds       np_load_avg=1.10
suspend_thresholds    NONE
nsuspend              1
suspend_interval      00:02:30
priority              0
min_cpu_interval      00:02:30
processors            UNDEFINED
qtype                 BATCH INTERACTIVE
ckpt_list             NONE
pe_list               openmp openmpi-1perhost openmpi-2perhost \
                      openmpi-4perhost openmpi-8perhost openmpi-fillup \
                      openmpi-roundrobin
rerun                 TRUE
slots                 8
tmpdir                /tmp
shell                 /bin/bash
prolog                NONE
epilog                NONE
shell_start_mode      posix_compliant
starter_method        /usr/sge/bin/lx24-amd64/start.sh
suspend_method        SIGTSTP
resume_method         NONE
terminate_method      NONE
notify                00:00:60
owner_list            NONE
user_lists            standard_users power_users
xuser_lists           gr_cb01
subordinate_list      NONE
complex_values        NONE
projects              NONE