[GE issues] [Issue 2623] qmon icons are terrifyingly bad

alain alain at archifou.com
Thu Jun 4 02:39:02 BST 2009

Having those hard to read/understand icons in qmon always bother me (for some years) so I decide to do a quick test to see what reaction will be. Since changing the visual aspect of an application will attract of lot of attention (positives and negatives) I was wondering if you anyone had ideas on how to proceed once I submitted an official first draft ?

There are around 100 icons used by qmon in the 6.2 release and I've only replace around 20 at the moment. I will finish updating all icons before submitting them for review (in about 1 week)

I was thinking of only using existing icons from the public domain  (mostly tango) with only minor modifications if needed. I'm no artist so I won't be creating any original art. Please, let me know if you have suggestions or links for icons I could use.

As for installing and testing a new sets of icons for qmon will be  pretty straightforward and only require to replace the following directory in the distribution

  $SGE_ROOT/qmon/PIXMAPS

and qmon will automatically use the new icons on the next restart.

  Alain