[GE users] vf, h_vmem or both?

futuritymmx neil.baker at crl.toshiba.co.uk
Tue Jun 9 11:43:34 BST 2009

Hi Everyone,

We have a consumable complex called ?virtual_free? / ?vf? which we use to make sure that jobs don?t use more memory than a machine has available.  The users specify the maximum amount of memory they feel that their jobs will use.

However, some users underestimate the amount on memory they use and others have jobs with memory leaks.  We?d like to start using ?h_vmem? to kill jobs that consume more memory that expected.

I was wondering if ?h_vmem? is automatically used by the grid engine and scheduler to work out where jobs should be run, preventing too many jobs running on a machine that require a lot of memory?  If not, will our users still need to specify the ?vf? complex as well as the ?h_vmem? complex?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Neil