[GE users] Two failure messages from one task

rayson rayrayson at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 05:47:14 BST 2009

I haven't dug into the code yet, but by doing a simple diff, I am sure
that both emails are for the same instance of the job (ie. not rerun,
as the pid and ppid are the same). However, one was sent around 1 min
later than the other.

So there are 2 possibilities, either SGE sent the email twice, or the
same email was delivered twice. I am biased toward the later, as
things like that easily occur during system shutdown.

To find out the answer, you can increase the SGE log level to get the
information, but I think an easier way (and more certain way) is to
write a wrapper mailer to log the contents of the email and other
details before invoking the real mailer. If the mailer is invoked once
but you get two emails, then you know that it's the mail transfer
agent ;-)

Rayson