[GE users] Host sorting order for job scheduling

soeren_g soeren.gerlach at quanteam.de
Tue Jun 16 16:28:08 BST 2009

Hello,

I`ve set up a small test cluster to test some new configuration requests from users. For the usage of the subordinate queues I have a request to fill two queues from "adjacent ends" of the hostlist.

E.g. my hosts are named h1, h2, h3 and h4 (each with 4 cores) and I have two queues "Regular.q" and "Preemption.q". Preemption.q has Regular.q as subordinated queue defined.
The idea now is to have the slots for Regular.q filled in the order of h1 to h4 and fill Preemption.q from the other side, i.e. h4 to h1. My intention is to delay the suspension of Regular.q for a small number of running jobs, because in the above setup "regular" jobs would eventually not run on the same hosts as "preemption" jobs.

I noteiced that some changes on the sort/order topics have been done in SGE 6.2. What is somewhat unclear to me is how to apply different sort orders to different queues and how to apply such a sort order at all.

Thanks,
Soeren Gerlach