[GE users] installing exec-host without any shared FS

udowaechter udo.waechter at uni-osnabrueck.de
Tue Jun 16 16:54:09 BST 2009

Hello all.
We are maintaining and installing gridengine (currently 6.2u1) via the
puppet (automated administration) tool.

We are not using any shared directories (especially $SGE_ROOT/
default/...) with "default" being our cellname.

My question is, what information is needed to install a exechost via a
template.
We already create the template, and installation works pretty fine.
The only problem that I have is, this.
Currently we rsync $SGE_ROOT/default from our gridmaster to all the
admin/exec/submit hosts.
Due to the nature of puppet, it takes to runs (of puppet) such that
the execnode installation actually succeeds.

By looking through $SGE_ROOT/default/common my guess is, that I only
need to create;

$SGE_ROOT/default/common/act_qmaster (with the qmaster as content) and
$SGE_ROOT/default/common/cluster_name (with the name of the cluster as
content)

Is there more? I remember that, back then (a year ago), when I started
writing the sge-puppet module it did not work when the qmaster was
mentioned in the exechost installation template. Thus I created the
rsync workaround.

If these two files suffice, then I could get rid of the constant rsync
calls.

Thanks,
udo.
--