[GE users] qrsh can't walk through firewall

pollinger harald.pollinger at sun.com
Wed Jun 17 16:44:37 BST 2009

On 06/13/09 07:10, deltag wrote:
> hi, all, I use qrsh to submit interactive jobs in a small two-node
> cluster. Because there is firewall set up on one node, the connection
> of qrsh can't be established. As I know, qrsh will open some tcp port
> on both of submit host and qmaster host, but these port numbers seem
> random.

qrsh only starts one TCP or SSL server (on the submit host) to accept
the connection from the execution host. Of course it has to connect to
the QMaster to submit the job.
If qrsh would use a specific port or a range of port numbers, the number
of concurrent qrsh sessions would be limited to the size of this range.
But of course, if it's the only way to open a connection through your
firewall, it's worth to accept this limitation. I will file a RFE for this.

Regards,
Harald

http://www.sun.com/gridware
mailto:harald.pollinger at sun.com