[GE users] Windows Execution Node was: (Sun) Grid Engine 6.2u3 changes

beatrubi beat at 0x1b.ch
Sat Jun 20 12:11:27 BST 2009

Hi Andi!

Am 19.06.09 17:13 schrieb "andy" unter <andy.schwierskott at sun.com>:

> 1. Changes to the Software License Agreement (SLA) of the Sun SGE version
> Unlike with earlier releases the license does not come anymore with an
> unlimited right for production use. Users who did not acquire a license from
> Sun will be permitted to only deploy the software for evaluation use for 90
> days.

I was quite happy with the old licensing scheme and I'm still mostly happy
with the new one. As I'm working for a solution provider building and
administrating clusters the licensing allows me to deploy the Grid Engine
free of charge with the additional option of commercial support. A big
advantage to LSF (commercial only), Torque/Maui (no commercial support
allowed) or MOAB (commercial only). The only options I currently have is
SLURM which is somewhat limited in the part of scheduling and Lava which is
limited to 512 nodes.

The only piece I miss is a free of charge Windows Exection Node. Currently I
combine the Queuemaster out of the curtesy binary package with the Execution
Node of the SUN Grid Engine. They fit well together and forms a stable
solution for clusters having mixed environments. Of course there are some
hassles - but hey, Windows is always much more work then Linux :-)

Are there any plans to deliver a curtesy binary version of the Windows
Execution node?

If not, I'm sure it will be possible to build the binaries out of source. Do
you have some instructions how to do this task? I think I'm able to set up a
build environemnt and create user supplied packages to the community.

Maybe we meet in Hamburg next week? I'll be there all the time and sure
everyone who met me in Regensburg last time will recognize me :-) Otherwise
I'm happy to see you in Regensburg in September!

Beat

--
     \|/                           Beat Rubischon <beat at 0x1b.ch>
   ( 0^0 )                             http://www.0x1b.ch/~beat/