[GE users] Possible ARCo bugs

soeren_g soeren.gerlach at quanteam.de
Wed Jun 24 10:07:11 BST 2009

Hello Jana,

thanks for testing and providing some ideas. We just downloaded the new 6.2u3 and installed arco & dbwriter completely from scratch. Despite the fact that the provided SQL scripts for MySQL produced two errors for the 5.0.26 version which ist part of SLES10 everything is as before in respect to the errors.
Upgrading mysql is not an option at the moment as I'm working in a commercial environment with SLAs and everything, so installing out-of-distribution software and versions is a no-go ,-| And I don`t think that an upgrade of SWC will help as all errors seem to be typical application level problems.

I did some experiments to verify the problems:

1) and 2) are related to each other: All conversion "date_format" in SQL fail on the Java side: The java-code obviously trys not to determine the column type but uses "toString()". Unfortunately the JDBC-driver seems to return a byte-array for columns converted with MySQLs "date_format" function, thus resulting in a string like "B[..." when the output is generated. ARCo on the other side expects a String type object which results in the problem. The graph generation is failing for all queries where "date_format" is used, so likely the same source of problem.
I also tried to update the JDBC driver vom 5.0.8 to the latest 5.1 version from MySQL but no change appeared.

3) I created the "Job log" query as a user query from scratch and found it to have the same problem as before. After I changed the "job id" parameter from late binding to a specific value the problem vanished. So the problem can be boiled down to the late binding - for this query.
I tried some more queries which use late binding as well as another simple self defined query with late binding - they all fail so this is the problem.
Unfortunately the webconsole debug log does not yield the complete stack trace, only the most upper trace, so it is not really possible to track down the code line which is responsible for this issue ,-/