[GE users] Possible ARCo bugs
jana.olivova at sun.com
Wed Jun 24 13:46:44 BST 2009
On 06/24/09 11:07, soeren_g wrote:
> Hello Jana,
> thanks for testing and providing some ideas. We just downloaded the new 6.2u3 and installed arco & dbwriter completely from scratch. Despite the fact that the provided SQL scripts for MySQL produced two errors for the 5.0.26 version which ist part of SLES10 everything is as before in respect to the errors.
I believe you are referring to this error?
> Upgrading mysql is not an option at the moment as I'm working in a commercial environment with SLAs and everything, so installing out-of-distribution software and versions is a no-go ,-| And I don`t think that an upgrade of SWC will help as all errors seem to be typical application level problems.
> I did some experiments to verify the problems:
> 1) and 2) are related to each other: All conversion "date_format" in SQL fail on the Java side: The java-code obviously trys not to determine the column type but uses "toString()". Unfortunately the JDBC-driver seems to return a byte-array for columns converted with MySQLs "date_format" function, thus resulting in a string like "B[..." when the output is generated. ARCo on the other side expects a String type object which results in the problem. The graph generation is failing for all queries where "date_format" is used, so likely the same source of problem.
> I also tried to update the JDBC driver vom 5.0.8 to the latest 5.1 version from MySQL but no change appeared.
Unfortunately, I think unless you upgrade the MySQL version or install
some patch the problems will persist. We have many MySQL users and
nobody else had reported similar problem.
"As of MySQL 5.0.36, DATE_FORMAT() returns a string with a character set
and collation given by character_set_connection and collation_connection
so that it can return month and weekday names containing non-ASCII
characters. Before 5.0.36, the return value is a binary string."
> 3) I created the "Job log" query as a user query from scratch and found it to have the same problem as before. After I changed the "job id" parameter from late binding to a specific value the problem vanished. So the problem can be boiled down to the late binding - for this query.
> I tried some more queries which use late binding as well as another simple self defined query with late binding - they all fail so this is the problem.
> Unfortunately the webconsole debug log does not yield the complete stack trace, only the most upper trace, so it is not really possible to track down the code line which is responsible for this issue ,-/
Again, I can not reproduce it. The only other thing I can recommend
apart from upgrading MySQL server is to try installing SJWC on a host
with different OS.
The other thing that comes to mind is that you have something wrong with
the MySQL configuration.
>> I believe, you have encountered these problems, however I cannot
>> reproduce them (not exactly the same setup, though).
>> 1 and 2) See the screen shot jobs_completed. (see the day field),
>> neither can I see any Exception. Run IE 7, IE 6.0, Firefox, Opera 9.50,
>> Firefox 188.8.131.52
>> 3) See attached screen shot job_log, again no exception.
>> I have a
>> SWC 3.0.2 on sol-amd64 OS Solaris 10u3
>> MySQL - 5.0.70-log on sol-amd64 OS Gentoo
>> So for 1) try edit the query number of jobs completed, so it looks like
>> (the formating is already applied on the VIEW):
>> SELECT time as day, SUM(completed) as jobs FROM .....
>> Try to run the same query directly from the MySQL console, to see if it
>> looks the same.
>> If none of this helps, try using newer version of MySQL.
>> Either of these errors you have encountered could be related either to
>> bugs in MySQL, (I vaguely remember we had encountered some issues with
>> the version of MySQL you are using), or bugs in SWC on the OS you are using.
>> Jana Olivova
>> soeren_g wrote:
>>> Various bugs in ARCo found
>>> we just installed ARCo on a test system and were surprised to find a lot of bugs in such a usefull piece of software ,-)
>>> SGE: 6.2u2_1
>>> JVM: Sun JDK 1.5.0_04
>>> OS: SLES 10
>>> Sun Web Console: 3.0.2
>>> Mysql. 5.0.26
>>> 1) Date stamps: All dates in table show up like "Date.asString()", e.g. they look like "[B at b67f7c". This seems to be a general programming flaw - so obvious that I doubt it's really a bug ,-)
>>> 2) The reports "Number of Jobs completed" results in an Java exception (as seen in the console debug log) while drawing the chart (pls. see attached screenshot, documents the above bug as well).
>>> 18/06/2009 14:37:18|S4BY112|.arcomodule.ChartServlet.doGet|E|error java.lang.ClassCastException
>>> java.lang.ClassCastException: null
>>> 3) Most strang bug so far...The "Job log" requests works nice when used with Firefox but fails when called from IE 7. For IE I noticed that the server https certificate is marked as invalid although I imported it. The debug log yields:
>>> 18/06/2009 14:38:20|S4BY112|rcoServlet.onUncaughtException|E|Encountered an internal exception: javax.servlet.ServletException: The request was not handled by the specified handler "com.sun.grid.arco.web.arcomodule.LateBindingViewBean at f40b08"
>>> javax.servlet.ServletException: The request was not handled by the specified handler "com.sun.grid.arco.web.arcomodule.LateBindingViewBean at f40b08"
>>> sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor77.invoke(Unknown Source)
>>> So guys...you can do better than that ,-)) Anyways if these are real bugs I am happy to file some issues.
>>> Thanks & regards,
>>> Soeren Gerlach
To unsubscribe from this discussion, e-mail: [users-unsubscribe at gridengine.sunsource.net].
More information about the gridengine-users