[GE users] can't get password entry for user either the user does not exist or NIS error

muxecoid muxecoid at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 13:49:15 BST 2009

The error message is "can't get password entry for user either the user does not exist or NIS error". I want to get rid of this with least effort possible. I do not have NIS installed so I just copied the user names, UIDs and passwords over all machines (only 3 of them) manually.

I tried to install NIS but I do not know what it is and it appears to be very hard to configure.

Any easy workarounds?