[GE users] Prefer submitting to priority queue over subordinate queue

cjf001 john.foley at motorola.com
Wed Jun 24 14:23:05 BST 2009

Orion -

this setup sounds very similiar to that of mine. I can suggest two
things to try...

1 - first, you can try using "sort by sequence number" in the scheduler
configuration tab of qmon, and then set the sequence number of the
compute queue to a number higher than that of the owner queue (lower
number wins, like in golf). This seemed to work for me until I
started using parallel jobs, but those did not seem to follow the
expected pattern. I debugged that for a while, and submitted a
bug report on it, but never heard back from anyone on whether or
not they could reproduce it (so I suspect it hasn't been looked at).
You might try it, though; your system might be different enough
from mine that it might work even for parallel jobs !

2 - Since I needed both sequential and parallel jobs to work in
this manner, I ended up modifying our submit wrapper script
to request the owner queue first - for instance, "-soft -q owner@*"
on the qsub command line would, I think in your case, ask the
scheduler to use the owner queue if possible, and if it's not
possible, then it would fall back to the compute queue. Since you
already have limited access to the proper owner queues, I think
this might work. It's easy if you already have a submit script
that everyone uses; not as easy to teach everyone to add these
to the command line. There are also "system-wide" command files
that an option like this could be placed in, but I haven't used
them so I'm not sure offhand where they are located (after saying
that, I realize that it might be the best solution for adding
such a set of options that you want everyone to use all the time...)

     Good luck !

         John

opoplawski wrote:
> We have a collection of machines in our grid, some of which were
> purchased by specific researchers and I want to give them priority on
> those machines.  So, I have created "owner" queues for the various
> machines, limited access to them, and made the general "compute" queue
> subordinate to the owner queue.  The problem I see now is when a member
> of the owner queue submits jobs, they first go into the compute queue,
> then the owner queue is filled and the compute queue jobs are suspended.
>   It's not the end of the world because they will eventually run, but it
> does create a funny situation.  It seems like the scheduler should be
> able to compare the two queues on the same host and submit to the
> non-subordinated one first.
>
> We're running 6.2u2_1.

# John Foley                          # Location:  IL93-E1-21S            #
# IT & Systems Administration         # Maildrop:  IL93-E1-35O            #
# Antenna & Mechanical Simulation Grp #    Email: john.foley at motorola.com #
# Motorola, Inc. -  Mobile Devices    #    Phone: (847) 523-8719          #
# 600 North US Highway 45             #      Fax: (847) 523-5767          #
# Libertyville, IL. 60048  (USA)      #     Cell: (847) 460-8719          #