[GE users] can't get password entry for user either the user does not exist or NIS error

muxecoid muxecoid at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 14:49:25 BST 2009

Your answer is Chinese to me (I'm not a real network administrator). What should I do? nsswitch.conf says NIS for netgroup. Here is the nsswitch.conf:

# /etc/nsswitch.conf
#
# Example configuration of GNU Name Service Switch functionality.
# If you have the `glibc-doc-reference' and `info' packages installed, try:
# `info libc "Name Service Switch"' for information about this file.

passwd:         compat
group:          compat
shadow:         compat

hosts:          files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns mdns4
networks:       files

protocols:      db files
services:       db files
ethers:         db files