[GE users] scheduling with load averages ?

pvdmeer pvdmeer at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 12:56:50 BST 2009

Dear SGE users,

Recently, we got our cluster (4 nodes, 8 cores each) running Grid Engine 6.2u2. I configured SGE to use the following scheduler configuration settings:

queue_sort_method                 load

load_formula                      slots

I set the amount of slots in the queue to 8, and this seems to work fantastic. The cluster is loaded in a very balanced way. Nodes are filled up with one process for one core. This is what we'd like to see.

So far, so good. But what happens when people start running jobs without SGE? Of course, we'd like to limit this as much as possible. But at this moment, we can't avoid it. It seems that "qstat" is aware of host load averages. The metric would be a good scheduling rule, I'd say.. Does anyone know if this is an option with SGE 6.2u2?

Thanks in advance,

Pieter van der Meer