[GE users] scheduling with load averages ?

craffi dag at sonsorol.org
Thu Jun 25 14:19:18 BST 2009

There are a few general reasons for running SGE even on small or even
singular systems. I've seen it used on single machines quite often.

The biggest one is that it allows multiple users, groups or projects
to use the same hardware without having to shout over cube walls or
otherwise negotiate access informally. A generic SGE with a simple
fairshare-by-user policy works quite well for this.

The second big problem is that without something like SGE you are
either informally scheduling (can be a waste of time or inefficient if
different locations and timezones are involved) or you are running
jobs in first-in-first-out (FIFO) order.

The problem with FIFO is that business, project or scientific
priorities are not reflected in how resources are allocated. In a FIFO
world, the person who gets to work earliest or logs in first via SSH
gets the most resources and quite that person is not working on the
most important task of the day/week/month.

I guess my shortest reply would be that SGE and similar products can
be of significant benefit on any computer that is used by more than
one person.

-Chris