[GE users] qsh

pollinger harald.pollinger at sun.com
Thu Jun 25 16:08:35 BST 2009

pvdmeer wrote:
> Dear SGE users,
>
> I recently ran into a problem of users running their processes outside of
> SGE. I "fixed" it by changing scheduler rules. But this still allows, in
> very high load situations, jobs to be scheduled on fully loaded systems..
>
> The obvious solution is to force them to use SGE. However, their software
> requires an X windows display to be active.. So, I wondered if "qsh" might
> offer us some help.
>
> However:
>
> taygeta [examples]% qsh
> Your job 2670 ("INTERACTIVE") has been submitted
> waiting for interactive job to be scheduled ...qstat -f
>

> Your "qsh" request could not be scheduled, try again later.
>
> I checked to see if there were slots left in the cluster and there were
> plenty.. A normal qsub task also worked.

Does "qacct -j 2670" tell you more?

> Then qlogin maybe?

This won't forward X Windows - unless you configure it to use "ssh -x".

> taygeta [examples]% qlogin
> local configuration taygeta.sron.nl not defined - using global configuration
> Your job 2671 ("QLOGIN") has been submitted
> waiting for interactive job to be scheduled ...error: 1: qlogin_daemon
> "none" is not an absolute path
>
> Am I missing something here? Do I need to configure the scheduler or provide
> some additional parameters?

Which version of SGE are you using?
Which OS are you using?

For SGE versions before 6.2, "qlogin_daemon" should be set to the
systems telnet daemon, e.g. "/usr/sbin/in.telnetd" on Solaris. You can
configure it differently, see man page sge_conf(5), "qlogin_daemon" section.

For SGE versions from 6.2 on, it should be "builtin" by default.

The "qlogin_command" settings always must match the "qlogin_daemon"
settings, i.e. "/usr/bin/telnet" <-> "/usr/sbin/in.telnetd" or "builtin"
<-> "builtin".

Use "qconf -mconf" to change the global configuration (a local
configuration is not defined, as the qlogin output tells us).

Regards,
Harald

http://www.sun.com/gridware
mailto:harald.pollinger at sun.com