[GE users] qsh

pvdmeer pvdmeer at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 17:19:41 BST 2009

Hi Harald,

We're running Debian/Lenny (64 bit). SGE version 6.2u2.

qacct doesn't provide me with much information, sadly:

taygeta [examples]% qacct -j 2670
/var/lib/gridengine/default/common/accounting: No such file or directory
no jobs running since startup

So, qlogin can be configured to use an X forwarding SSH? I now configured the qlogin_command as you told (to "builtin").. now the following happens (which is quite comparable to the qsh situation):

taygeta [~]% qlogin
local configuration taygeta.sron.nl<http://taygeta.sron.nl> not defined - using global configuration
Your job 2681 ("QLOGIN") has been submitted
waiting for interactive job to be scheduled ...

Your "qlogin" request could not be scheduled, try again later.

And the host of choice goes in to Error state. Would it be wise to check the logs btw?

With kind regards,

Pieter van der Meer

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 5:08 PM, pollinger <harald.pollinger at sun.com<mailto:harald.pollinger at sun.com>> wrote:
pvdmeer wrote:
> Dear SGE users,
>
> I recently ran into a problem of users running their processes outside of
> SGE. I "fixed" it by changing scheduler rules. But this still allows, in
> very high load situations, jobs to be scheduled on fully loaded systems..
>
> The obvious solution is to force them to use SGE. However, their software
> requires an X windows display to be active.. So, I wondered if "qsh" might
> offer us some help.
>
> However:
>
> taygeta [examples]% qsh
> Your job 2670 ("INTERACTIVE") has been submitted
> waiting for interactive job to be scheduled ...qstat -f
>

> Your "qsh" request could not be scheduled, try again later.
>
> I checked to see if there were slots left in the cluster and there were
> plenty.. A normal qsub task also worked.

Does "qacct -j 2670" tell you more?

> Then qlogin maybe?

This won't forward X Windows - unless you configure it to use "ssh -x".

> taygeta [examples]% qlogin
> local configuration taygeta.sron.nl<http://taygeta.sron.nl> not defined - using global configuration
> Your job 2671 ("QLOGIN") has been submitted
> waiting for interactive job to be scheduled ...error: 1: qlogin_daemon
> "none" is not an absolute path
>
> Am I missing something here? Do I need to configure the scheduler or provide
> some additional parameters?

Which version of SGE are you using?
Which OS are you using?

For SGE versions before 6.2, "qlogin_daemon" should be set to the
systems telnet daemon, e.g. "/usr/sbin/in.telnetd" on Solaris. You can
configure it differently, see man page sge_conf(5), "qlogin_daemon" section.

For SGE versions from 6.2 on, it should be "builtin" by default.

The "qlogin_command" settings always must match the "qlogin_daemon"
settings, i.e. "/usr/bin/telnet" <-> "/usr/sbin/in.telnetd" or "builtin"
<-> "builtin".

Use "qconf -mconf" to change the global configuration (a local
configuration is not defined, as the qlogin output tells us).

Regards,
Harald

> Any hints will be appreciated.
>
> With kind regards,