[GE users] Partitions with SGE

crtierney42 craig.tierney at noaa.gov
Tue Jun 30 23:17:51 BST 2009

steve_s wrote:
> On Jun 26 11:38 +0200, joga  wrote:
>> Hi Steve,
>>
>> I assume this is all about parallel jobs,
>> running on multiple nodes, but all nodes have to be in one partition.
>
> Yes, exactly.
>
>> This can be achieved in SGE by the use of wildcard pes, see the
>> following mail, where Andreas explains such a setup:
>> http://gridengine.sunsource.net/ds/viewMessage.do?dsMessageId=693&dsForumId=38
>
> OK, so if I understand correctly, one does not define partitions as such
> (like in Maui for instance) and assigns nodes directly to them
>
>     NODECFG[node001]   PARTITION=astronomy
>     NODECFG[node002]   PARTITION=astronomy
>     NODECFG[node049]   PARTITION=math
>
> but instead defines a queue for each node and groups them together into
> arbitrary hierarchies (PEs). Thanks.
>
> best,
> Steve

Think of a cluster queue as a partition.  Each cluster queue will have a
host group and that host group is similar to creating a partition in Maui
or Moab.

The difference is that a host can be a part of multiple host groups (and
therefore multiple cluster queues).  In Moab/Maui, you can't have a host
in two different partitions.

Craig

Craig Tierney (craig.tierney at noaa.gov)