[GE users] qrsh X connection forwarded by ssh?

reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Sun Mar 1 14:28:24 GMT 2009

Am 01.03.2009 um 14:19 schrieb jewellc:

> Hi,
>
> I have a quick, and possible naive, question to do with X
> forwarding in GE6.2 (Linux).
>  I want to be able to log into my frontend node via ssh from a
> remote client (also
> Linux), and run a graphical application on an execution node using
> qrsh.
>
> If I were logged in at the frontend node console, I would type
> something like:
>
>> qrsh xclock -display `hostname --fqdn`$DISPLAY
>
> and the display (here xclock) would pop up on my desktop.  However,
> if I ssh into the
> frontend node from a remote client (eg my office), I don't seem to
> be able to get ssh
> to forward the display:
>
> remote_client> ssh -Y frontend
> frontend> qrsh xclock `hostname --fqdn`$DISPLAY
> Error: Can't open display: frontend:10.0
> frontend>

Hi,

you will also need the X11 forward on the fronend. Either by "/usr/
sbin/sshd -Y -i" in the SGE's configuration, or a line in you ~/.ssh/
config and setup SSH as communication method:

http://gridengine.sunsource.net/howto/qrsh_qlogin_ssh.html

> I'm assuming that this is because no X-server is running on the
> frontend node, but
> shouldn't ssh forward the display to my remote client?  Is there a
> way to circumvent
> this whilst retaining the GE6.2 builtin qrsh system?

For now there is no X11 forwarding in the builtin method.

-- Reuti