[GE users] Restarting sge_execd on all nodes

reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Tue Mar 3 11:28:29 GMT 2009

Hi Paul,

Am 03.03.2009 um 00:12 schrieb paulu:

> This weekend, by a fileserver failure, the queue master went down
> together with the sge_execd daemons on all nodes.
>
> Everything is working again. Restarting all sge_execd daemons was done
> by logging on remotely on each node and starting the daemon from the
> commandline manually.
>
> Is there some smarter way to do that, for example analogous to
> the 'qconf -ke all' command? I quess it is a bit of a catch 22
> situation, because there's no daemon to talk to yet.
>
> Of course I could do some scripting, using 'qselect -qs u' to iterate
> over all unavailable nodes, but perhaps there is a more elegant way.
>
> Any suggestion would be welcome.

how did you install SGE? Usually there will be links and scripts
installed in e.g. /etc/init.d and the rc3.5 and rc5.d subdirectories
to start it automatically during boot (under Linux the location
depends on the distribution). Only pitfall is, that they might start
too early and other necessary system daemons are not up at that time.

I usually move the startup of SGE be the last during startup and the
first during shutdown, i.e. entries like "S99sgemaster.p6444 -> ../
sgemaster.p6444".

$ chkconfig

-- Reuti