[GE users] Theoretical question about wallclock and qacct

mhanby mhanby at uab.edu
Tue Mar 3 15:14:56 GMT 2009

I have a theoretical question regarding the number presented by qacct
for WALLCLOCK. I'm running GE 6.1u5 with OpenMPI 1.2.8 compiled on the
head node (so OpenMPI should be GE aware).

As a test, I ran a 32 slot OpenMPI job that had a total runtime of 60
minutes. The WALLCLOCK reported in the email delivered after job
completion was 1:00:04 hours.

The qacct command for that same job reports 18020, which translates to ~
5:00:05 hours.

The job ran on 5 hosts, so it appears that the WALLCLOCK is only
recording the seconds on each host and not each CPU / slot?

Is this the way it's supposed to work, or is this a tight vs loose
integration thing?

I would have expected the WALLCLOCK for the 32 slot job to be ~ 32:00:00
hours

Thanks,

Mike