[GE users] Do anyone use gridengine without NFS?

reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Wed Mar 4 12:40:57 GMT 2009

Am 04.03.2009 um 12:53 schrieb abercromby:

>> It's a bit difficult to get rid of a shared directory.
>> The prolog and epilog
>> scripts are writing to the stdout and stderr files so the
>> working directory
>> must allready exist. Even more you are not able to copy any
>> logs as the
>> prolog script still uses the output file for it's own
>> output.
>>

> Hi; let me get this straight. You can use the epilog
> script to copy STDOUT and STDERR to some location,
> BUT the epilog script itself writes to STDERR/OUT
> at the same time? Does anyone know what is this about?

Where is the problem? You can even delete the STDERR/OUT in the
epilog in case you are not interested in it and maybe their size is
zero anyway (as I do it in my clusters, the application is always
writing to a different file).

#!/bin/sh
# Just remove the standard output- and error-file, if they are empty.
[ -r "$SGE_STDOUT_PATH" -a -f "$SGE_STDOUT_PATH" ] && [ ! -s
"$SGE_STDOUT_PATH" ] && rm -f $SGE_STDOUT_PATH
[ -r "$SGE_STDERR_PATH" -a -f "$SGE_STDERR_PATH" ] && [ ! -s
"$SGE_STDERR_PATH" ] && rm -f $SGE_STDERR_PATH
exit 0

This is often done for temporary files under Unix like operaring
systems: open a file and delete it in the program. As long as the
program has the file handle in his hand, it can read and write to the
file (while it's invisible to other processes). It will appear in the
listing of `lsof`as "(deleted)". When the program finally closes the
file or just exits, the temporary file is gone automatically.

-- Reuti