[GE dev] Announcing Sun Grid Engine 6.2 Update 2 feature update release

andy andy.schwierskott at sun.com
Thu Mar 5 15:36:32 GMT 2009

Brooks,

you are right - my message could be misread by the innocent reader. Its
FreeBSD origin certainly could have been mentioned.

We used the code from the Mozilla project since it was ported to Linux.

There were strange issues with the library on older Linux systems: since we
uses the oldest supported system for compiling the Grid Engine binaries we
ran into issues with the 32-bit binaries. That's the reason why the 32-bit
Linux binaries do no use jemalloc.

Just wondering when the Linux community will take the challenge and decide
to use an acceptable malloc library by default. It's quite annoying that end
user software has to take care about such staff (and customers think the
software is crappy and not ...)

The good news is that when building SGE you can get a shared jealloc library
for free:-):

   % aimk -shared-libs -only-jemalloc"

Then you just set $LD_PRELOAD and can examine/enjoy the benefits of a
different malloc library on Linux for your own application.

Andy