[GE dev] Announcing Sun Grid Engine 6.2 Update 2 feature update release

andy andy.schwierskott at sun.com
Thu Mar 5 16:36:45 GMT 2009

Brooks,

> On Thu, Mar 05, 2009 at 04:36:32PM +0100, andy wrote:
> > Brooks,
> >
> > you are right - my message could be misread by the innocent reader. Its
> > FreeBSD origin certainly could have been mentioned.
>
> Would you mind adding something like "Jason Evans developed jemalloc for
> use in FreeBSD where it was included in the 7.0 release" to the web
> version of the release announcement.  Jason definitely deserves credit.

ok!

> > We used the code from the Mozilla project since it was ported to Linux.
> >
> > There were strange issues with the library on older Linux systems: since we
> > uses the oldest supported system for compiling the Grid Engine binaries we
> > ran into issues with the 32-bit binaries. That's the reason why the 32-bit
> > Linux binaries do no use jemalloc.
>
> Odd, have you tried contacting Jason about this?  He's busy, but
> generally pretty responsive.

no we haven't. I thinks it's not really important for the courtesy binaries -
hardly anyone would today install a large scale high throughput cluster on a
32-bit capable CPU I guess.

Anyone compiling SGE for oneself still can build it with the jemalloc
library and has good chances to get it running if the system is not too
old.

Btw., our malloc lib evaluation included looking at libhoard - also good,
but licensing difficulties and the Google malloc library - also (very), but
non-portable at all due to it's use of assembler code.

Andy