[GE users] automatic custom complex resource request

reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Mon Mar 9 17:32:04 GMT 2009

Am 09.03.2009 um 17:32 schrieb ddavies:

> Thank you very much for the prompt reply. I'd rather not do it the
> other way around because:
> 1) If it is necessary to require users to add "-l vl=1" then I'd
> need a way to prevent access to a vcs license when user forgets to
> add "-l vl=1" but then uses a vcs license. The only (ugly) way I
> can think of is mess up their $VCS_HOME variable in a starter
> method so vcs won't run?

Will the vcs only run in ther urgent.q queue? Then you can keep it
being a consumable and limit in addition it on a global level. Of
course, users could request "-l vcs=0". So:

In the starter_method you could just exit without executing the
program, when you discover that they didn't request a license. Over
time they will agree to comply with the set up policy for using the
software.

> 2) It's desirable that users not need to know and remember to add
> this. We have 6 "vcs" queues that everyone knows/uses for various
> requirements and priorities and more switches are undesirable.

Then a qsub-wrapper might help. "subvcs filename" will will execute
"qsub -l vcs=1 ... $1"

Anyway: how will you distinguish between normal jobs and vcs jobs? I
think something the user must add for sure. If you have only vcs jobs
in the cluster, you could specify it as a default request either in
the complex specification or the sge_request file (man sge_request).

-- Reuti