[GE users] testing mail configuration

udowaechter udo.waechter at uni-osnabrueck.de
Tue Mar 10 14:29:57 GMT 2009

Hello all.

I can not get mailing to work.
Unfortunately, I do not undestand where the problem can be.

First, one question: Who sends the email (in any case)? The gridmaster
or the execution hosts?

We use ssmtp and /usr/bin/mail (as configured for all exec-hosts) works
on all machines when invoked from the command line.

The gridengine seems to ignore the request.

I submit jobs with:

qsub -M <email-address> -m e -b y sleep 10

On the host that runs the job, no entry in any of the maillogs can be
found about the mail that should get sent. It seems that GE does not try
to send the mail at all.

GE version is 6.1u1

Now, I do not know how to debug this further.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
udo.