[GE dev] candidate for IPv6

rayson rayrayson at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 20:03:40 GMT 2009


On 3/11/09, igardais <ionel.gardais at tech-advantage.com> wrote:
...
> My preference goes to IPv6 as it crosses my two domains of competence.
>
> Any advices before I start diving into the commlib sources ?

I did some work (with Ron) in the commlib... we enabled poll(2)
instead of select(2). But then that was back in 2005!!

In the commlib, two places that interact the transport layer are:

cl_ssl_framework.c
cl_tcp_framework.c

I believe 90% of the work is in those 2 files, with the remaining 10%
or so in qrsh, qsh, rshd, and qmake.

I would suggest to start by picking either the standard TCP/IP or the
SSL framework, port the functions to enable IPv6 (while not breaking
IPv4), and then do some initial testing. When almost everything works
and bugs fixed, you can easily apply the changes to the corresponding
functions in the other framework.

For example, in the TCP framework, we have the function:
  cl_com_tcp_connection_request_handler_setup()
  {
   struct sockaddr_in serv_addr;
   ...
   }

Since "struct sockaddr_in" is an IPv4 data structure, we need to
change it to the IPv4 and IPv6 structure "struct sockaddr_storage".

Then in the SSL framework, we have the corresponding function:
  cl_com_ssl_connection_request_handler_setup()
  {
   struct sockaddr_in serv_addr;
   ...
  }

So if we just focus on one, the other is straightforward.

As for enabling IPv6 at the code level, I read the book "IPv6 Network
Programming". However, only the few chapters are useful (basically 50
pages), and the rest of the book are just RFCs that you can download
from the net for free.

And you can google for IPv6 programming, IPv6 porting, etc and get
some good tutorials as well:

Introduction to IPv6 Programming
http://www.euchinagrid.org/IPv6/IPv6_presentation/Introduction_to_IPv6_programming.pdf

There are many more on the web... so Google is once again our friend :-P

Let us know if you have further questions, and may be we can work
together as well...

Rayson




>
> Thanks,
> Ionel
>
> ------------------------------------------------------
> http://gridengine.sunsource.net/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=39&dsMessageId=127791
>
> To unsubscribe from this discussion, e-mail: [dev-unsubscribe at gridengine.sunsource.net].
>

------------------------------------------------------
http://gridengine.sunsource.net/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=39&dsMessageId=127837

To unsubscribe from this discussion, e-mail: [dev-unsubscribe at gridengine.sunsource.net].



More information about the gridengine-users mailing list