[GE users] Need a queuing system on Mac OS X

mad margaret_Doll at brown.edu
Wed Mar 11 21:53:55 GMT 2009

We have several dual-quad core macs in our departments.  The problem
comes when four or more users start intensive calculations on the
system.  The console image becomes locked from time to time.  If ones
watches the monitor, one sees the jobs jump from processor to
processor.  The jobs don't land on a definite processor and stay there
until they finish.  I would like to have the console run on one of the
processors and have the jobs queued out to the other processors to
prevent the console from locking up.

I understand that gridengine can work on Mac OS X 10.5.  How well?  Is
it obvious how the processors are added to queues, etc?