[GE users] Does a shadow master really improve reliability

ddavies ddavies at plxtech.com
Fri Mar 13 17:30:04 GMT 2009

Hi,
I'm planning to setup BDB shadow master, but I'm not sure if I'm improving or reducing reliability based on the following statement on page 30 of this SGE whitepaper: http://www.sun.com/offers/details/Sun_Grid_Engine_62_install_and_config.html

"The goal of installing a shadow master is to eliminate a single point of failure in the cluster, but adding a remote Berkeley server for spooling adds an additional single point of failure."

This sounds like an overall reduction is reliability. Is that correct?

Regards,
Dave Davies