[GE users] Several beginner questions. Global Q does not see any slots.

muxecoid muxecoid at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 13:04:03 GMT 2009

Hello. I'm completely new to building clusters, please, try to give me a "for dummies" explanation.

1. Do I need to use a special distribution to build a grid? Can I just connect a few computers with vanilla ubuntu with network switch, make a network mounted directory and use them?

2. Do I need to install sge-root locally on hard disk for every execute node?

3. Can I run execution server on master machine? The cluster currently consists of only 3 machines now and will expand to 8 later so making a dedicated master is a waste.

3.1. Before installing on the actual computers I installed it on local desktop. I used the same machine for both master and execution install. I used qmon to configure it. I created a new user group, added a user to it, than added the user to list of users, than added the execution host, than did install_exec, added the user group to allowed for both host and queue.

On cluster queue screen I see "USED:0 AVAIL:0". On the host screens I actually see the host and the real load values (I loaded it by running stuff directly). What did I do wrong?

4. Does SGE know to balance load wisely on machines with hyperthreaded CPU?