[GE users] some startup questions....

cjf001 john.foley at motorola.com
Mon Mar 16 19:19:58 GMT 2009

SGE Users -

new SGE admin here, coming up to speed on a system that I've inherited
from a guy that "moved on".....  Nice thing is that those that are left
are somewhat confused about how the system is set up, so I will probably
be able to just configure it the way I want, in conjunction with a
version upgrade (to 6.2)....

I've read the user's manual, admin manual, install manual, and a few of
the other things on the website, including the very-helpful
"SCHEDULER POLICIES FOR JOB PRIORITIZATION IN THE SUN N1? GRID ENGINE 6 SYSTEM"
whitepaper by Charu Chaubal. I've played around with some of the commands
on the existing system.  But, I have some questions, some probably stupid,
so be nice.... :)

1) what the heck does the "N1" in "N1 Grid Engine" mean ?!

(BTW, in the following questions, I'm talking about CLUSTER queues unless
  I specifically say otherwise, which I never do....)

2) I'm confused about the states of a job.  When it's submitted, using
    qsub, is the job immediately and always sent to a queue ? If not,
    where is it, and how would I see it ?

3) This question kind of depends on the answer to the one above, but I'll
    ask it anyway... when a job is in a queue, does that mean it's running ?
    If not, which I assume is the answer, then can more than one job in a
    queue be running at the same time ?

4) The jobs in a queue are re-prioritized at each scheduling interval, correct ?
    So it's possible that a job that's not running (in a queue) could all of
    a sudden get a higher priority (say due to some override tickets assigned
    to it) than a running job, and so the running job is suspended - is that
    how it works ?

5) somewhat related to the previous question, maybe, but in Charu's whitepaper
    he talks about a "dispatch priority" - is this something different than
    the priority of the jobs in a queue ?

6) I'm searching for a "good" way to visualize in my mind, if not on paper,
    what the SGE queueing system looks like - does anyone have such a thing ?
    For instance, can a queue be represented by a vertical tube, where jobs are
    dropped into the top, and come out the bottom when they are ready to be
    run ?  (probably not, eh ?!) Or do they not come out of the tube until their
    run is completed, and more than one can be running at once ? (getting back
    to a previous question)

and now for something that has nothing to do with queues, I think -

7) how do you handle clusters that are made up of many types of machines, some
    of which are quad-core, some of which dual-core, and some single-core ? If
    a job only requires a single core, does that mean that SGE can/will submit
    4 separate jobs to a quad-core machine ?

      Thanks for the help !!!

         John

# John Foley                          # Maildrop:  IL93-W2-18M            #
# IT & Systems Administration         #    Email: john.foley at motorola.com #
# Antenna & Mechanical Simulation Grp #    Phone: (847) 523-8719          #
# Motorola, Inc. -  Mobile Devices    #      Fax: (847) 523-2519          #
# 600 North US Highway 45             #     Cell: (847) 460-8719          #
# Libertyville, IL. 60048  (USA)      #                                   #