[GE users] SGE 6.2 : How to Re-que jobs

santoshkodihalli santosh at yashasvi.co.in
Thu Mar 19 07:20:13 GMT 2009

Hi,

I have some queries and will be great if anyone can answer
them and help me

Query :

1> Currently I have SGE 6,2 installed on one Host which is a
qmaster,admin,submit and execution host and has 2 CPUs.
-->I have only one default queue (all.q)
-->I have 4 jobs fired (job-a ,job-b,job-c,job-d) and 2 jobs
started(job-a,job-b) as there are only 2 processors and each
job may run a min for 5 min.
The other 2 jobs(job-c,job-d) are in queue(pending jobs).

With the above mentioned scenario, I SUSPEND the two jobs
that are running(job-a,job-b).
My environment demands that when I suspend the
jobs(job-a,job-b in this example),the resources must be
freed the other two jobs that are in queue(job-c,job-d) must
start execution.
But this is not happening.The jobs(job-a,job-b) gets
suspended but dont free up the resources and the queued
jobs(job-c,job-d) continue to remain in pending jobs queue.

How can I overcome this.
How can I make the jobs in pending queue(job-c,job-d) to
start running once the running jobs(job-a,job-b) are suspended.
I could achieve this when I issued a Force Reschedule on
jobs(job-a and job-b) but when they started running again
,they actually restarted the job and did not resume from the
point it was rescheduled.

If this thing is possible,is there any means by which I can
automate this(i.e to make the running jobs to make way for
other jobs after running for x minutes and resume from where
 it was stopped once it gets the slot.)

Please help me with this.

Thanks & Regards
santosh