[GE users] Functional sharing

olson olson at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Mar 20 22:16:27 GMT 2009

We've been running our cluster with functional sharing turned on to
implement fair sharing between two main applications and ordinary user
jobs,and it has been working pretty well.

However, a project has submitted a large number (2000 or so) jobs into
the queue, and what this appears to have done is to have diluted the
project's share of the tickets to a large enough extent that it is
being starved from executing at all.

How do we work around this problem? The large submission is entirely
correct and expected, and the desired outcome is that the project's
fraction of the cluster will work its way through the jobs.

Thanks,
--bob