[GE dev] IPv6 commlib

igardais ionel.gardais at tech-advantage.com
Sun Mar 22 16:48:16 GMT 2009

Hi guys (and gals if any),

I've started to dig the commlib source code, focusing on cl_tcp_framework.c.
What I understand is that the commlib manages network-related stuff and some hostname caching.

As Christian says, adding #ifdef statements is not an option.
But IPv6 needs special/additionnal/new calls (dedicated to IPv6 or not). Which way should we considere in adding IPv6 support to commlib ?
Create an IPv6 only commlib beside the original commlib ?
Modify structures to handle IPv4 and IPv6 datas ?
Duplicate structures and add logic to current methods ?
My main interrogation is that the IPv6 calls and structures might not intergrate well with the current structure handling (using addrinfo to manage peers information).

BTW, should we let the user select if he wants IPv4 and/or IPv6 during startup or should we consider that we bind all available ressources ?

Ionel