[GE users] subordinate queue and preemption

mzhou mi.zhou at stjude.org
Mon Mar 23 15:15:19 GMT 2009

I have a "test-pre" queue which has a subornidate queue of "test". They were set to use only node015 which have 8 cores (slots).

I submitted an 8-cpu job (job1) to queue test, then another 8-cpu job (job2) to queue test-pre. Job2 won't suspend job1. The message is:

(-l slots=1) cannot run in queue "node015" because it offers only hc:slots=0.000000
                            cannot run in PE "openmpi" because it only offers 0 slots

If I change job1 to use only 7 cpus, job2 will suspend job1 and start running.

It seems that "preemption" itself need an open slot to start.

Any idea how to fix it?

Thanks,

Mi Zhou
St. Jude children's Research Hospital