[GE users] Mail From

benmwebb ben at salilab.org
Fri Mar 27 20:50:05 GMT 2009

jewellc wrote:
> Just a quick question: is it possible to change the From field in mail
> headers sent by SGE?  Currently, mails sent by my SGE installation have
> the From: field set to "root" - something more informative like
> "SGE-cluster" would be better.  Is there an environment variable or
> property that needs setting somewhere?

The easiest way is to write a custom mailer. Run 'qconf -mconf' and
change the mailer field to point to an executable script that wraps the
system mailer and sets the From: field appropriately. I've attached a
Python mailer we use below, which does this. (It also sets the To:
header, since the default for SGE is to try to mail the user at the
submit host, and our submit hosts don't run mail servers.)

	Ben

#!/usr/bin/python

from optparse import OptionParser
from email.MIMEText import MIMEText
import subprocess
import sys
import os
import re

# Parse options
parser = OptionParser()
parser.add_option("-s", dest="subject", default='SGE job notification')
opts, recips = parser.parse_args()

# Set email from and to, including any necessary substitutions
email_re = re.compile("@\w+\.cluster\.ourdomain$")
mailto = [email_re.sub("@ourmailhost.ourdomain", x) for x in recips]
mailfrom = 'SGE admin <sge-admin at ourdomain>'

# Create email text
msg = MIMEText(sys.stdin.read())
msg['Subject'] = opts.subject
msg['From'] = mailfrom
msg['To'] = ", ".join(mailto)

# Send email via sendmail binary
p = subprocess.Popen(['/usr/sbin/sendmail', '-oi'] + mailto,
                     stdin=subprocess.PIPE)
p.stdin.write(msg.as_string())
p.stdin.close()
sys.exit(p.wait())