[GE users] "advance" reservations in sge 6.0

cru chris.rudge at leicester.ac.uk
Mon Mar 30 11:57:44 BST 2009

Geralt,

I've encountered exactly this issue in the past. It's a known bug but
there's a workaround.

Use the calendar, exactly as you've done, but then ensure that you've
set "max_reservation" to something >0. The scheduler creates a
reservation for the downtime defined in the calendar and will then
successfully just backfill jobs which fit before it.

I currently have this working in 6.0u8 and 6.1u2.

Chris

On Tue, 2009-03-24 at 14:48 +0000, geralt wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I was wondering if it is possible to schedule a downtime in sge 6.0 (for an update) so that other jobs are not scheduled to run into that time interval.
>
> I've tried the calendar option first - defined and attached it to a queue, and it successfully marked the queue as disabled in the provided timeframe, jobs which were running before the downtime occurred continued to run, jobs which were submitted during downtime were no longer being run but remained in the queue as they should. So far so good. However, after the calender was configured and attached to the queue and before the scheduled downtime took place the scheduler still allowed jobs with long h_rt times to run even though they would clearly run into the downtime and should thus be kept queued. That's not intended.
>
> Second attempt: submitting a dummy job which reserves all resources and has an execution time (-a) set at the downtime date and the appropriate h_rt. This failed as well, because the priority of the dummy job stayed at 0 until its execution time, thus allowing all subsequent jobs to run along.
>
> Any further ideas?

Dr Chris Rudge
Research Computing Services Manager
IT Services, University of Leicester, LE1 7RH

Tel.  +44 (0)116 2523331
Fax.  +44 (0)116 2231283
chris.rudge at le.ac.uk

Time Higher Education University of the Year 2008/9