[GE users] Dynamically change number of available slots

templedf dan.templeton at sun.com
Mon Mar 30 13:25:07 BST 2009

You could easily do it by having two queues, each with 2 slots.  For one
of the queues, add the machine's user to the queue instance's
owner_list, e.g. "qconf -aattr queue owner_list user queue at host" or
"qconf -mq queue at host" and manually modify the owner_list line.  The
owner of the queue is granted the ability to disable/enable and
suspend/resume the queue.  In this case, the user could suspend/disable
one of the queues, removing two slots from the cluster, but only on the
one machine.  Disabling a queue has no effect on jobs already running
there; it just keeps new jobs from arriving.  Suspending the queue
suspends all the jobs in the queue.  If you need to bounce the jobs
instead of suspending them, you can change the suspend method for that
queue to bounce the job if it's a system suspend.

Daniel