[GE users] installing sge 6.2u1 for windows

templedf dan.templeton at sun.com
Mon Mar 30 13:30:41 BST 2009

SFU is an API for Windows that looks similar to UNIX.  When we ported
the SGE execution daemon to Windows, we didn't do a native port; we
ported it to SFU, which was considerably less work.  In order for the
execution daemon to function, it requires SFU to be installed.
Otherwise, it won't run at all.  You will have to install SFU on every
execution machine.  Starting with Vista, SFU is renamed SUA and is part
of the base OS.

DRMAA is not currently available on Windows, but could be if there was a
demonstrable need.  The reason why it's not available is that it would
also require SFU, which means that the DRMAA library would be a .so
instead of a .dll.  Because it would be a .so, any application that
wanted to use DRMAA would also have to use SFU, and no sane person would
start out writing a Windows application using SFU.  A quick work-around
is to write a simple daemon that uses RESTful web services to expose the
DRMAA operations.

Daniel