[GE dev] IPv6 commlib

crei crei at sun.com
Mon Mar 30 16:38:29 BST 2009

On 03/22/09 17:48, igardais wrote:
> Hi guys (and gals if any),
>
> I've started to dig the commlib source code, focusing on cl_tcp_framework.c.
> What I understand is that the commlib manages network-related stuff and some hostname caching.

Hostname resolving is done by using some gethostbyname calls from utilib. Commlib defines the
communication protocol. The cl_tcp_framework.c and cl_ssl_framework.c are the interfaces to the
used communication protocol where commlib protocol runs on.

> As Christian says, adding #ifdef statements is not an option.
> But IPv6 needs special/additionnal/new calls (dedicated to IPv6 or not). Which way should we considere in adding IPv6 support to commlib ?
I would try to implement the functions in the cl_tcp_framework.h into a cl_tcpv6_framework.h
or if possible integrate ipv6 support into the functions in cl_tcp_framework.c

> Create an IPv6 only commlib beside the original commlib ?
I do not understand this - can you explain more?

> Modify structures to handle IPv4 and IPv6 datas ?
yes, if possible create a super structure which can handle ipv4 and ipv6

> Duplicate structures and add logic to current methods ?
I think we should integrate, not duplicate

> My main interrogation is that the IPv6 calls and structures might not intergrate well with the current structure handling (using addrinfo to manage peers information).
Then we have to create structures which can do ipv4 and ipv6 ...

> BTW, should we let the user select if he wants IPv4 and/or IPv6 during startup or should we consider that we bind all available ressources ?
yes, would be nice ...

> Ionel

Sun Microsystems GmbH             Christian Reissmann
Dr.-Leo-Ritter-Str. 7             Software Engineer
D-93049 Regensburg                Phone: +49 (0)941 3075 112
Germany                           Fax:   +49 (0)941 3075 222
http://www.sun.de                 mailto: Christian.Reissmann at sun.com
                                   http://www.sun.com/gridengine
Sitz der Gesellschaft:
Amtsgericht Muenchen: HRB 161028