[GE users] SGE 6.2 queue cpu external job limits

emjga matthew.garrett at external.total.com
Fri May 1 11:41:40 BST 2009

Folks

I am very new to SGE so forgive me for some stupid Questions.

We have a 20 odd nodes most of which have 8 cpu's
Therefore we have a queue that allow up to 8 jobs to run (slots) per machine

The problem is that the nodes are all so used by external jobs from outside SGE
Is it possible to get SGE to check how many CPU's are been used by external jobs
say 3 and then to only allow 5 SGE jobs to be submitted to that queue/host

At the moment we have load checking on but that will either allow jobs or disallow jobs (np_load_av = 1.75)
It does not limit the number of job slots.

Any suggestions.
Thanks

Matthew Garrett

Registered in England and Wales No.811900
Registered Office 33 Cavendish Square, London W1G 0PW
This e-mail and any attachments are intended only for the person or entity
to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential or privileged
information.  If you are not the addressee, any disclosure, reproduction,
copying, distribution, or use of this communication is strictly prohibited.
If you are not the intended recipient or person responsible for delivering
this message to the named addressee, please notify us immediately and delete
this e-mail.
It is the responsibility of the addressee to scan this email and any
attachments for computer viruses or other defects.  The sender does not
accept liability for any loss or damage of any nature, however caused,
which may result directly or indirectly from this email or any file attached.