[GE users] Problem Using Advanced reservation

mikeg64 m.griffiths at sheffield.ac.uk
Fri May 1 12:22:46 BST 2009

I have been testing advanced reservation on iceberg we have uncovered a
problem
that prevents our reservations from being successful.

The problem is this
1. I make the reservation using qrsub
2. Resources become available and the reservation runs
3. I attempt to run my job using the reservation with qsub -ar myres
myjobscript
  the job fails to run because the slots become occupied

Under the scheduler configuration we have noticed that the default job
duration is 10 minutes.

So what appears to happen is that although the reservation has been
made, new job requests come in
and backfill using the default job time. It therefore appears that this
can only work
if users explicitly specify the job run time.

It appears that simply increasing the default job duration will not
resolve the problem.

Can you recommend anything?