[GE users] SGE 6.2 queue cpu external job limits

emjga matthew.garrett at external.total.com
Mon May 4 11:21:36 BST 2009

I have a small KSH script CPU_COUNT.ksh that can count the external jobs
It just returns a number which says how many external jobs are been run on the CPU's (slots)
e.g 4
But not sure how to get SGE to run this external Script  and get it assigned to the Variable $external

Dan.Templeton at Sun.COM wrote on 01/05/2009 19:54:14:

> If you can reliably count the number of external jobs on a node, you can
> report that number via a custom complex and a load sensor.  You can then
> set an RQS that says "limit hosts {*} to slots=$myslots-$external" to
> debit each machine for the external jobs running on it.  Note that
> you'll also have to monitor or set a myslots complex for each machine
> instead of using slots in the equation, because the value you're setting
> for slots can't be self-referential.  Do keep in mind, though, that the
> complexes are only updated periodically, every 40 seconds by default, so
> if your external jobs are short-lived, you have no hope of keeping up
> with them.
>
> Daniel

Registered in England and Wales No.811900
Registered Office 33 Cavendish Square, London W1G 0PW
This e-mail and any attachments are intended only for the person or entity
to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential or privileged
information.  If you are not the addressee, any disclosure, reproduction,
copying, distribution, or use of this communication is strictly prohibited.
If you are not the intended recipient or person responsible for delivering
this message to the named addressee, please notify us immediately and delete
this e-mail.
It is the responsibility of the addressee to scan this email and any
attachments for computer viruses or other defects.  The sender does not
accept liability for any loss or damage of any nature, however caused,
which may result directly or indirectly from this email or any file attached.