[GE users] qlicserver

Tue May 5 08:20:48 BST 2009

> YADQ... Do you have to run sgeexecd on the master node in order to use
> a load sensor?

Yes. If you want a load sensor on the master node, it must also be an
exec node. I've generally found it convenient to have the license
integration running on the master node: it provides the chance to handle
failover and it is independent of any calculation loads that might exist
on other nodes. Of course, you'll want to avoid having calculation jobs
accidentally going to the master node. You can either attach a queue
definition with zero slots, or attached a forced complex to this
queue/host. I've found it useful to define a general purpose 'schedule'
queue with lots of slots (eg, 128) on the master node, which we use for
special post-job cleanup or staging tasks.

If you are just reporting 'global' loads (like in the license server
integration), it is actually immaterial if the load sensor runs on the
master node or somewhere else. However, it is a bad idea to try
reporting loads for 'host1' from 'host2'.

/mark
message from your computer.