[GE users] Overallocated cluster

rmc7777 richard.casey at colostate.edu
Tue May 12 19:15:22 BST 2009

Hi,

We have a 32-node (64-CPU) Apple G5 cluster running SGE.  We use Ganglia to monitor the load on the cluster.  Ganglia shows that the cluster is chronically overallocated, that is, running with an average load much greater than 100%.  I would like to manage the load with SGE such that jobs remain in a pending state until the average load drops below 100%.  When the average load drops below 100% jobs could be submitted to the run queue until the load goes over 100% again.  Can you do this with SGE?  How would you configure the queues or queue resources to accomplish this? thx.