[GE users] allocation rule

davemeni davemeni at udel.edu
Wed May 13 22:28:22 BST 2009

Hello all,

We have a large cluster with 8 processor nodes on it, running SGE 6.0.  We run 1, 2 , 4, and 8 processor jobs on the cluster.  We have been trying to find a way to tell the queue to submit 1 processor jobs to nodes with the fewest free processors but have come up empty handed.  The problem now is that we have a ton of 1 processor jobs spread across a bunch of nodes.  What we need is all of the 1 processor jobs on the same few nodes so that there can be empty nodes available for 4 and 8 processor jobs.  Is there a PE environment option for filling up the most used first instead of the least used?

I know that some would just suggest to create separate clusters for serial and parallel jobs, however the number of serial and parallel jobs running at any given instant can vary greatly, so designating nodes for only parallel or only serial will create a lot of unused resources.

Ideally we would like the queue to submit a job to the highest occupied node that has enough free processors to not split the job across nodes.  However, I know that this is probably not an option.  If it is then by all means please share how.  If not, please let me know if it is possible to get 1 processor jobs to fill the highest occupied nodes.

Thanks,
Dave Meninger
University of Delaware